Wiener and Wiener LLP
With Offices In Allentown And West Palm Beach, We Serve Throughout Eastern Pennsylvania And Florida

3 questions to ask when choosing your minor child’s guardian

On Behalf of | Oct 24, 2022 | Estate Planning |

Parenting is a lifelong responsibility. However, life comes with its share of uncertainty. Like everyone else, you don’t know what tomorrow holds. And this may concern you if you have minor children. 

If a tragedy was to strike leading to your incapacitation or death, who would take care of your minor child? This is likely a tough question. However, you can answer it by designating a guardian for your child during the will creation process. But how do you choose a guardian for your little one?

Here are three questions that can help you find the right guardian for your child:

Does your child’s potential guardian hold similar values to you?

The whole essence of designating a guardian for your child is ensuring that a court doesn’t make this decision on your behalf. Ideally, you want a person with the same ideals as you do. As such, you may need to focus on their religious, financial, moral and family values before considering them for this role. 

Where do they live?

Issues like social factors, cost of living and educational systems are paramount when vetting a prospective guardian’s location. 

A good rule of thumb may be to put yourself in your child’s shoes and ask the questions, “Are my needs being met? Am I receiving the right education? Do I have a roof over my head?” 

Are they willing to serve as your child’s guardian?

It is not uncommon for some people to keep their choice of a guardian top secret. However, this may be detrimental. Assuming parental responsibility over a child is an enormous responsibility. As such, it helps to have this conversation with the prospective guardian before making it official in your will. 

Fews things are as tough as imagining that someone else might assume the responsibility of raising your child. You may need to find out how you can designate a guardian who will serve your child’s best interests should something happen to you and your child’s other parent.